The sun is shining in Lynn Valley, and writers of all ages and levels of experience have come from all over the North Shore to share their experiences and to learn how to perfect their craft.
First up this morning, The North Shore Writer’s Association created a panel of five successful writers that are all at different stages in their career. The fabulous panel included Maggie Bolitho, Lynn Crymble, Martin Crosbie, Sonia Haynes, and Sylvia Taylor. Each writer brought a unique perspective to the session, as they have all had very different experiences with publishing. The writers graciously (and honestly) answered any and all questions from the audience.
Just in case your warm, comfortable bed wouldn’t let you out of its tight grip this morning, you can catch up below!
So you want to be a published writer? Here’s what you need to know.
- Be patient.
- Be motivated.
- Be a storyteller.
- Be curious about the world around you.
Some notable advice from the panel about getting published:
- Start by finding your niche and identifying your strengths.
- Know that you are an entrepreneur first and an artist second.
- Attend seminars and participate in workshops to perfect your craft and learn about what is selling in the market.
- Don’t be defeated by rejection letters- let them motivate you!
- Feeling brave? Post them on your fridge and on your walls like Martin Crosbie…it sure worked for him!
- Self publishing doesn’t mean you have to do it all on your own (you can hire an editor, cover designer, formatter, etc.).
- Be open about your book, trust your editor, and forget your ego.
- You need to work with an editor because they don’t care who you are: this is a business, and you can’t forget that.
- Create an online profile to promote yourself- use social media, create a website, etc.
- Worried about wasting too much time online? Maggie Bolitho suggests setting a timer!
That’s the end of our first session, but there are still five more to go! Come and join us in the Community Meeting Room at the Lynn Valley Main Library.